Friday, March 30, 2012

Key Holder!

I saw something like this online and thought i would give it a try.  I really enjoyed doing this one.


Start out with some old door knobs or dead bolts.  Found these at a habitat for humanity restore.  I think they were $2 each.


I used a 2"x8" and made it about 3 foot long.  It was about $4, i only used about half of it.  I used the router to put a little shape on the front edges.  Looks neat.

Next, I used the router to make some small indentions for the dead bolts so that they would sit flush with the wood.  About 1/4" was all that I needed to shave off for these to sit flush.

I used the router again to cut out where the larger door knobs would go.  This was a little bit more difficult and took some time.  BUT, the knobs fit in there perfectly after i was done. 



After I had everything drilled out and ready to put the deadbolts and the doorknobs in place, I decided to rough it up a little bit.  I used a chain to beat on the 2"x8" a little bit.  This gives it a more rustic type look and adds some character to it whenever you add the stain in. 


NEXT, was some good looking stain.  This was a minwax stain ENGLISH CHESTNUT.  Looks prety good.


Then some varnish to make it glisten...


 Final product.  Fun project overall!  Total cost <20$.  Keys were about 6$ (made at Lowes).

No comments:

Post a Comment